7/14/2010

Dear New York, New York


Today the sun FINALLY decided to come out! It is ridiculous how today was the first really hot summer day in California! Got to go to the pool in an attempt of getting some color :x I was browsing thru some old folders on my computer and I found some old unfinished/unedited pieces that I wrote throughout the years.. this one is about 7 months old and I'm also going to be featuring it on FASHILOCITY either today or Thursday (Just click 'READ MORE' to check it out). Also today is my little sister's birthday! Happy birthday Ale!

Hope everyone has a lovely day!!
xoxo,
S.B.



Dear New York, New York
By Stefanie Bressan

Oh, New York… Damn you New York with your breathtaking sky scrapers and stunning Milky Way looks. Damn you for being one of the World capitals of Fashion. Damn you for sharing Humphrey Bogart and Tom Cruise with the world and making the rest of the population feel like they were a part of you. Oh, New York… you have spoiled us.

The magic that spreads into the hearts and souls of whoever crosses the “crossroads of the world,” the appeal to the Phantom of the Opera or Avenue Q, the doubts on Cats’ smashing success, the lust for an afternoon at the Hamptons, the passion for a night at the Yankees stadium, the love for a stroll at Central Park—New York, you have it all.

The wonderful performing arts of the New York Opera and the New York Ballet, Park Avenue, the Rockefeller Center, you entice us poor sentimental fools with all of your sensual symmetry. Everything about you is right, even the fact that you are turning this country into a “sadocapitalism” center can be accepted, as long as you keep on bringing us Fashion Week so we can have a ménage a quatre with designer shoes, dresses and handbags. Oh what would I give to spend all of my earnings on Fifth.

I would probably pass the New York City Marathon, but I would never stop admiring when Carrie Bradshaw responded, “New Yorker” to a man that asked if she was American. It is almost as if it was part of a whole other world in which I feel like Sinatra coming to New York City from Jersey. I want to wake up in that city that never sleeps, he sang; it was a masterpiece. And with no surprise it became the anthem for their beloved baseball team. Such kindhearted men that fought war for four years in the middle of their baseball plans—some of the most notable American heroes I would say.

New York… oh New York... sometimes you just surprise us, humble spectators, with some marvelous talent. When we were giving up on the art of dance pop, you brought us Gaga so that we could feel like having fun and being drunk to the point of forgetting bits and pieces of life was ok as long as we just danced to the Lady Gaga phenomenon. You remind us that even though we are deprived of your marvelous gifts, we can hope to be like Holly Golightly and have Breakfast at Tiffany’s and name our cat, Cat.

New York, I despise when there are complaints of your perfect weather, you bring us every season kindly enough so that we can appreciate every quarter of the year forever. How else could we wear our Chanel Fall Collection taillers with our gorgeous red-soled Louboutin boots? How else would we feel like we have a piece of the North Pole during Christmas if there is no snow? I would travel hours to be in a winter wonderland, to sit by the fire with a cup of hot cocoa, looking through a window, watching the snow. A DVD of a fireplace and a hot weather during winter do not add up to the same result. Ignorants, they are.

After Breakfast at Tiffany’s I fell in love with the City, after Friends, I fell in love with Central Perk, after Sex and The City, I fell in love with Fashion, after reading The Times, I sought to become a journalist. I am attached to you in so many aspects, New York. Oh... my darling, I would strap on my Manolos and run to you in a heartbeat.

If I could only make those who dislike you see what I see, they would fall madly in love with you. Italy may be my home, Paris may be my passion, London may be my lover, but you New York, you are my Affair to Remember.

No comments: